Comment On Dit?





For the next few weeks, we are playing a silly game at the Akaroa Waterfront Motels called “Comment On Dit?”, or “How do you say?” in French. As many of you know (because I keep mentioning it like a broken record), the Akaroa French Festival is happening this October 9-11, and the motel owner, Elise, is a Frenchie. So, we are having Elise and the other native French villagers help us prepare for the festivities.
 
Before we start, let me introduce you to some of our staff, the lovely folks you will see speed-walking around the property, getting ready for arrivals.
 
First, there is Elise She hails from France, but has lived here in Akaroa since 2010. She and her partner, Fraser, have owned the Akaroa Waterfront Motels since 2015 and truly strive to make the motel a special, yet comfortable and relaxed place. Our guests often see her either at the reception, mowing the lawns, fixing the washing machines, or walking her labradors, Coco and Barney. Her French is impeccable, but she has the unfair advantage. She will set the standard for the rest of us to follow.
 
Next, we have Manisha, who is one of our hard-working Nepalese ladies. She has been working for the motel since 2024, so she knows the ropes. She also works at Aihe and has a large family to care for. And still, she is always smiling and easygoing. Manisha speaks Nepali and Indian, and she copes well with English. But she does not speak French; she is still keen to play the game.
 
Third in line is Devi. She is also from Nepal. She has been with the motel since 2025 and is a friend of Manisha’s. Another smiling face as she cleans rooms at the motel, she also works as a chef at the Akaroa Hospital and occasionally at La Thai. When you visit Akaroa, you are bound to spot this tiny lady working hard somewhere. Devi is like Manisha in that she does not speak French, but clearly does not shy away from a challenge.
 
Number four is our newest recruit, Sam. She is from America, but has lived in Spain and Mexico for a number of years. She has been backpacking for a while and says it is good to just unpack and stay in one place for a little while. Sam doesn’t speak much French either, but she is fluent in Spanish. Maybe that will be the next game…
 
And my name is Kat. I am also originally from America, but I immigrated to New Zealand in 2009. I have a long list of previous employment in Akaroa, but I have worked at this motel since 2016. Ten years! Like Elise, I also carry a screwdriver and dust cloth in my back pocket at all times. I studied French in high school and university for 5 years, plus I lived in France twice, but I still struggle with the language, unfortunately. But I also struggle with English sometimes…

Simplest game ever:
How do you say… in French? When she is here, we will ask Elise how to say various phrases throughout the day. Then we have to repeat it, in the hopes of learning (or in my case remembering). And we want you to play with us! Feel free to ask us “Comment on dit?” during your visit, and see if you can stump us. (Honestly, the chances are high, unless you speak with Elise). We want to welcome all of our repeat guests and our new guests to the motel and our little town. Not all of us are French, clearly, but we want to make the experience as fun as possible.

Á bientôt!

Comments